Monday, March 28, 2016

Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti Region of Georgia

The view at the Enguri Hydro Power Plant (Enguri HPP) [Photo by my dad]
Valeriy & Dad at Enguri HPP in the 80s
Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti was the 4th of the 9 regions of Georgia that we visited on our 8-day Georgian exploration. This region has quite the variety in flora and fauna from the palm trees by the Black Sea to the snowcapped Caucasus mountains. We visited serene Tsalenjikha and the resort town of Anaklia and finally got to see the Black Sea while in the region! My dad spent a month in Tsalenjikha in the 1980s to visit Valeriy and had many fond memories of  the good times he had with Valeriy and their friend Vepha. I am including some old family photos because they are fun and why not include them!
Enguri HPP
The gang at the Enguri Hydro Power Plant (Enguri HPP)
Enguri HPP and the Enguri River
Enguri HPP
Enguri HPP
Enguri HPP
Vepha gifted my dad with a traditional Georgian robe.
The ladies from Moscow.
Vepha and my dad reunited after over 30 years.

Tsalenjikha views
Tsalenjikha - population: 8,900
Sisters near epic trees in Tsalenjikha
Tsalenjikha
Tsalenjikha Cathedral built in 12th-14th century
Jenya and my dad next to Tsalenjikha Cathedral
in the 80s!
Tsalenjikha Cathedral
Tsalenjikha Cathedral
Tsalenjikha Cathedral
My dad with Vepha and his mother in Tsalenjikha in the 80s. 

Valeriy's old house in Tsalenjikha.
We were all very excited to take photos with grapes!
Grapes and cows in Tsalenjikha
Ankalia is a small resort town on the Black Sea. We arrived at sunset and because it was November we thought the city was abandoned! But in fact, it was just not the summer bikini season. The town looks a bit strange without sunbathers as you will see by the empty architecturally diverse hotels and restaurants. When we were still living in Russia, we spent most of our time living in Sochi, on the Black Sea, because of my dad's music and show. I don't remember it very much since I was 5 when we left, but returning to the Black Sea gave me a sense of the familiar and familial.

Sculptures in Anaklia
Sunset over the Black Sea in Anaklia
Interestiing architecture in Anaklia
More interesting architecture
Not our hotel
Sunset over the Black Sea


Masha finally got to skate in Georgia!
Savva trying to skate in Anaklia while Masha looks on.
Big dinners are a must!
Elarji - cornmeal with Sulguni cheese. YUM!
Toasting with the drinking horn
My mom probably toasting about love or friendship.
Vepha and my dad 2015
Vepha and my dad circa 1984



Until next time Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti!

No comments:

Post a Comment