Doi Inthanon with Pele Thai

When I'm in New York, I hike in the Catskills. When I'm in California, I explore the Redwoods. Apparently when I'm in Chiang Mai, I venture to Doi Inthanon. In November 2010, I went on a fantastic 3 day/2 night trek through Doi Inthanon. I met Astrid on that trek! And now Astrid lives in Thailand! And I still love Thailand very much so (some things don't change).

Of course last time the reason I wanted to go to Doi Inthanon was to go to the highest point to see these amazing temple/stupas in honor of the king and queen. Of course I was told that was where the trek was headed but we never did get there. It was ok though. This time I was determined. Eda and I met Pele "Pele Thai" while walking around Chiang Mai in search of the right tour agency to do business with. Pele was a monk for 20 years but is now retired. He has quite the story. He was/is great and we were very lucky to have found him. He answered all of our questions about Buddhism, monks, Thailand, and anything else. He even taught us a song called, "Mai pen rai!"

It was not a real hike, we walked a bit (discovered how unfit we are), drove a bit, walked, drove. The weather was not conducive to a proper trek anyway what with the rain and the fog at the very top of the mountain.





I was told this was galangal. Not true. Beautiful, though!

Don't go chasin' waterfalls...

Wachirathan Waterfall!

Sweet and sour filled with Vitamin C


Lunch!



Nabhapolbhumisiri Shrine - for the queen (See us lookin' Queenly)





Nobhamethanidol Shrine in the background.

Queen's shrine inside


King's shrine inside

I like to go to the highest spots! Finally made it ! 2,565 meters = 8,415 feet!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Did you put toilet paper in your ear?"

The Oldest and Biggest Banyan Tree in Thailand!

Olu Deniz, eh don't go there

Bonticou Crag Hike and Rock Scramble

Dashville7: The Video