Thursday, August 2, 2012

St. Mary's Glacier, Colorado

I needed a couple of days to adjust to the altitude of Denver (over 5,000 feet higher than the sea level I live at - hello, I live on an ocean block). My first evening in Denver, Frank and I walked to eat pho and it was unnecessarily difficult to walk the few blocks to get there. So my third day, we decided to explore this spot I found doing a "close hikes to Denver" search.

I was upset to learn (once we actually got there) that St. Mary's Glacier is not an actual glacier. But what do I know about glaciers anyway? St. Mary's Glacier is "technically a large perennial snowfield" which basically means it's a mass of snow that doesn't melt in summer time. It is, however, still absolutely beautiful and a great first hike at a higher altitude that I am used to. The hike can go from the road (10,428 feet/ 3,178m) just to St. Mary's lake, or you can keep going and walk up the large perennial snowfield, which is what we did.


Dope tree.
St. Mary's Lake at  10,738 feet (3,273 m)
The glacier.
Do you see the animal?
Hiking on snow is a very cold experience. I don't know why I was surprised.
Me on the glacier! Notice I am above treeline!
Frank.
No more trees up here.
Looks like a volcano at first, but it ain't.
Me and Frank at  about 11,236 feet (3424m) with James Peak behind us. It was so quiet (but did I mention my ear infection was back so it wasn't very quiet for me what with the whishing sounds in my left ear.)
Ah, yes, beautiful!


St. Mary's "Glacier"

Small historic town of Idaho Springs.
Small historic town of Idaho Springs.
Small historic town of Idaho Springs.
Small historic town of Idaho Springs with moon.
Small historic town of Idaho Springs.
You can see us in the car!

No comments:

Post a Comment