Tuesday, November 2, 2010

She said, "Hold me back! Hold me back!"

Even though every book on Thailand I have told me of the serene, "doesn't matter", "cool heart" nature of the people, I was not surprised, when I sat down to eat at a street food table, to find an elderly man and woman yelling at each other. More accurately, she was yelling at him and once he'd had enough, he got up with such menace in his eyes that the woman sitting next to me had to hold him back. A different woman held the yelling elderly woman back. Then things were calm. Then she came back to yell at him more and the scene repeated itself.

Good times.

By the way, Dash & Helen, the tom yum goong soup I just had (goong = shrimp) was not as good at the soup at Pagoda in Williamsburg. I still told/read out of my phrasebook to the girl, "a-roy mahk" (that was delicious). What I should have said was, "kow tah" which is "That hit the spot" because all I crave these days is tom yum. Must be the lemongrass.

No comments:

Post a Comment