Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Miami in December

Great view out of the airbnb.
Working as a social worker/therapist in a intensive crisis intervention program, I reached the point a year in where I was starting to feel a bit tired. The winter months were beginning to seep in as well, and the cold and gray of New York City was not of any help. I have to be honest here - I had been saving for a big trip and was going to just suck it up a few more months before I left for that...but my amazing dad who spends zero pennies pointed out that I was, in fact, burned out and helped me out financially with a long weekend trip to Miami. It's always a question I get - how do you afford to travel so much? Well, I save a ton of money, I stay with friends, and recently I have begun to use miles, and trips with my parents are always covered by them - which is a privilege I do not take for granted. However, the last time my parents chipped in to pay for a trip of mine was when I was 19 and about to backpack through Europe with a friend. Meaning, clearly I was in a bad way and my dad found it imperative to send me away. What a nice dad! I am incredibly lucky. My Colorado friend Frank joined me on this trip because doctor's get burned out too, and we got to hang with my brother for a day! It was a weekend filled with fun, murals, art due to Art Basel week, and swimming when it was warm enough. Here's a glimpse:
Day one already off to a good start. 85 degrees.
My brother, Savva, had just wrapped up shooting the muralists who paint walls all over Wynwood.
As a result, we got a really fantastic tour from him!
But first up - my first poke bowl at Ono Poke Shop. It was delicious.
The burn out.s Get it? Ha, ha, ha


Savva and I wanted to snap a photo with Bruno Mars.



Wynwood murals




Love this one!
Savva suggested the artist put a dolphin there/
In Progress.
Then the closed off the streets for the parties...

I was so happy these two finally met!
Miss you Barry <3
If I looked like this would Batman love me then??
Incredible succulent displays at Plant the Future
I'll take one of everything, thank you.
Moss wall at Plant the Future
Wynwood by night
Dr. Frank was into it.
Day 2 was colder but the early morning (like 7am) was still dry, so I went for a swim!
It was 50 something and rainy the next day, so to The Bass we went!
Ugo Rondinone at The Bass
Ugo Rondinone at The Bass
My best pout is me trying not to laugh.
Couple o' ruminating clowns.
Ugo Rondinone outside The Bass
Grey Miami, Art Deco buildings
That cup of peppermint teabag was $6!
Welcome to The Delano!
The Art Basel display in one of the bathrooms at the Miami Beach Cinematheque
at the historic South Beach City Hall. We watched an artsy movie about art.
Day 3 was in the 60s but damn it I swam and the water was warmer than the air!
I also had this ridiculous beverage at the airbnb/hotel poolside.
Lights out in Miami. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment